1. Weiss JP, van Kerrebroeck PEV, Klein BM, et al. Excessive nocturnal urine production is a major contributing factor to the etiology of nocturia. J Urol. 2011;186:1358-1363.
2. Matthiesen TB, Rittig S, Nørgaard JP, et al. Nocturnal polyuria and natriuresis in male patients with nocturia and lower urinary tract symptoms. J Urol. 1996;156:1292-1299.
3. Ancoli-Israel S, Bliwise DL, Nørgaard JP. The effect of nocturia on sleep. Sleep Med Rev. 2011;15:91-97.
4. Kobelt G, Borgström F, Mattiasson A. Productivity, vitality and utility in a group of healthy professionally active individuals with nocturia. BJU Int. 2003;91:190-195.
5. Kupelian V, Fitzgerald MP, Kaplan SA, et al. Association of nocturia and mortality: results from the Third National Health and Nutrition Examination Survey. J Urol. 2011;185:571-577.
6. Kupelian V, Rosen RC, Link CL, et al. Association of urologic symptoms and chronic illnesses in men and women: contributions of symptom severity and duration. Results from the Boston Area Community Health (BACH) Survey. J Urol. 2009;181:694-700.
7. Coyne KS, Kaplan SA, Chapple CR, et al. Risk factors and comorbid conditions associated with lower urinary tract symptoms: EpiLUTS. BJU Int. 2009;103(suppl 3):24-32.
8. Weiss JP, Blaivas JG, Bliwise DL, et al. The evaluation and treatment of nocturia: a consensus statement. BJU Int. 2011;108:6-21.
9. van Kerrebroeck P, Hashim H, Holm-Larsen T, et al. Thinking beyond the bladder: antidiuretic treatment of nocturia. Int J Clin Pract. 2010;64:807-816.
10. Smith AL, Wein AJ. Outcomes of pharmacological management of nocturia with non-antidiuretic agents: does statistically significant equal clinically significant? BJU Int. 2011;107:1550-1554.
11. Coyne KS, Zhou Z, Bhattacharyya SK, et al. The prevalence of nocturia and its effect on health-related quality of life and sleep in a community sample in the USA. BJU Int. 2003;92:948-954.
12. van Kerrebroeck P, Abrams P, Chaikin D, et al. The standardisation of terminology in nocturia: report from the Standardisation Sub-committee of the International Continence Society. Neurourol Urodyn. 2002;21:179-183.
13. Weiss JP, Wein AJ, van Kerrebroeck P, et al. Nocturia: new directions. Neurourol Urodyn. 2011;30:700-703.
14. Tikkinen KAO, Johnson TM II, Tammela TLJ, et al. Nocturia frequency, bother, and quality of life: how often is too often? A population-based study in Finland. Eur Urol. 2010;57:488-498.
15. Fiske J, Scarpero HM, Xue X, et al. Degree of bother caused by nocturia in women. Neurourol Urodyn. 2004;23:130-133.
16. Bliwise DL, Foley DJ, Vitiello MV, et al. Nocturia and disturbed sleep in the elderly. Sleep Med. 2009;10:540-548.
17. Irwin DE, Milsom I, Hunskaar S, et al. Population-based survey of urinary incontinence, overactive bladder, and other lower urinary tract symptoms in five countries: results of the EPIC study. Eur Urol. 2006;50:1306-1315.
18. Bosch JLHR, Weiss JP. The prevalence and causes of nocturia. J Urol. 2010;184:440-446.
19. Booth JM, Lawrence M, O’Neill K, et al. Exploring older peoples’ experiences of nocturia: a poorly recognized urinary condition that limits participation. Disabil Rehabil. 2010;32:765-774.
20. Klingler HC, Heidler H, Madersbacher H, et al. Nocturia: an Austrian study on the multifactorial etiology of this symptom. Neurourol Urodyn. 2009;28:427-431.
21. Chang S-C, Lin ATL, Chen K-K, et al. Multifactorial nature of male nocturia. J Urol. 2006;67:541-544.
22. van Kerrebroeck P. Nocturia: current status and future perspectives. Curr Opin Obstet Gynecol. 2011;23:376-385.
23. Wein A, Lose GR, Fonda D. Nocturia in men, women and the elderly: a practical approach. BJU Int. 2002;90:28-31.
24. Fonda D. Nocturia: a disease or normal ageing? BJU Int. 1999;84(suppl 1):13-15.
25. Nørgaard JP, Hashim H, Malmberg L, et al. Antidiuresis therapy: mechanism of action and clinical implications. Neurourol Urodyn. 2007;26:1008-1013.
26. Mayinger B, Hensen J. Nonpeptide vasopressin antagonists: a new group of hormone blockers entering the scene. Exp Clin Endocrinol Diabetes. 1999;107:157-165.
27. Djavan B, Milani S, Davies J, et al. The impact of tamsulosin oral controlled absorption system (OCAS) on nocturia and the quality of sleep: preliminary results of a pilot study. Eur Urol Suppl. 2005;4:61-68.
28. Yamaguchi OY, Marui E, Kakizaki H, et al. Randomized, double-blind, placebo- and propiverine-controlled trial of the once-daily antimuscarinic agent solifenacin in Japanese patients with overactive bladder. BJU Int. 2007;100:579-587.
29. Brubaker L, FitzGerald MP. Nocturnal polyuria and nocturia relief in patients treated with solifenacin for overactive bladder symptoms. Int Urogynecol J. 2007;18:737-741.
30. Rackley R, Weiss JP, Rovner ES, et al. Nighttime dosing with tolterodine reduces overactive bladder-related nocturnal micturitions in patients with overactive bladder and nocturia. Urology. 2006;67:731-736.
31. MacDiarmid S, Rosenberg M. Overactive bladder in women: symptom impact and treatment expectations. Curr Med Res Opin. 2005;21:1413-1421.
32. Weiss JP, Bosch JLHR, Drake M, et al. Nocturia Think Tank: focus on nocturnal polyuria: ICI-RS 2011. Neurourol Urodyn. 2012;31:330-339.
33. Abraham L, Hareendran A, Mills IW, et al. Development and validation of a quality-of-life measure for men with nocturia. Urology. 2004;63:481-486.
34. Shvartzman P, Borkan JM, Stoliar L, et al. Second-hand prostatism: effects of prostatic symptoms on spouses’ quality of life, daily routines and family relationships. Fam Pract. 2001;18:610-613.
35. Kim SC, Lee SY. Men’s lower urinary tract symptoms are also mental and physical sufferings for their spouses. J Korean Med Sci. 2009;24:320-325.
36. Temml C, Ponholzer A, Gutjahr G, et al. Nocturia is an age-independent risk factor for hip-fractures in men. Neurourol Urodyn. 2009;28:949-952.
37. Kupelian V, Wei JT, O’Leary MP, et al. Nocturia and quality of life: results from the Boston Area Community Health Survey. Eur Urol. 2012;61:78-84.
38. McVary KT. Sleep disturbances and lower urinary tract symptoms. Clin Urol Rep. 2011;12:243-244.
39. Bixler EO, Vgontzas AN, Lin H-M, et al. Excessive daytime sleepiness in a general population sample: the role of sleep apnea, age, obesity, diabetes, and depression. J Clin Endocrinol Metab. 2005;90:4510-4515.
40. Whitney CW, Enright PL, Newman AB, et al. Correlates of daytime sleepiness in 4578 elderly persons: the Cardiovascular Health Study. Sleep.1998;21:27-36.
41. Young TB. Epidemiology of daytime sleepiness: definitions, symptomatology, and prevalence. J Clin Psychiatry. 2004;65(suppl 16):12-16.
42. Meadows R, Venn S, Hislop J, et al. Investigating couples’ sleep: an evaluation of actigraphic analysis techniques. J Sleep Res. 2005;14:377-386.